Friday 15 October 2021

 Friday, 15th October 2021


How has it taken me 6 years to hear Joanna Newsom's album Divers. Instantly fell in love with this track so still haven't heard the whole thing but I know I'm going to revisit it often.


 

I probably listened to her less after the album 'Have one on me' because I didn't connect with it at the time and I thought maybe 'YS' was too much of a masterpiece to follow. Her voice changed on it and it all felt a bit less familiar, almost like a different artist altogether. But this album 'Divers' is like being re-acquainted with an old friend and I've listened to 'Leaving the City' about 6 times and watched live performances of it. Definitely one of my favourites.


I also came across a self-recording/releasing artist from Wellington NZ on Bandcamp whilst doing a bit of exploring. This album is from 2015 and is probably my favourite find of the past 3+ years, extremely unique and covers a range of styles, all with a sense of adventure and experimentation, but well-crafted and performed. Daniel Johann has an awful lot of talent and if I could attempt to make music anything like this I would because I think it's fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment